Apply for the Care Dependency Grant: find out how

The federal government decided to help families with children with severe disabilities and created financial aid of R23,760 per year! Read on!


Ensure up to R1,980 per month to offer your children the comfort they deserve

Care Dependency Grant
Learn how to apply for the Care Dependency Grant. Source: Foster the Money

Apply for Care Dependency Grant and get a monthly allowance of R1,980. This special federal aid is for needy families with severely disabled children.



Care Dependency Grant

Financial Support Aid

Financial support for children with severe disabilities and their families! Ensure up to R1,980 monthly!

You will be redirected to another website

So check below the information to get this help as quickly and easily as possible!

Who is eligible for the program?

There are requirements for both the applicant and the child. Understand below the rules for the applicant.

  • Be a birth parent, legal adoptive parent, or primary caregiver;
  • Be a South African citizen or permanent resident (legal immigrant or refugee);
  • If single, earn no more than R223,200 a year;
  • If married, the combined income of the father and mother must not exceed R446,400 per annul (this income limit does not apply to adoptive parents).

The child must:

  • Be under the age of 18;
  • Not be under the permanent care of a state institution;
  • Have a severe disability that is certified by a state physician and requires full-time special care.

The applicant and the child must reside in South Africa compulsorily.

What documents do you need to provide?

Portrait of smiling disabled african american schoolboy sitting
Learn what documents you need to provide. Source: Adobe Stock

Below, check the list of the main documents that you must present to apply for a Care Dependency Grant:

  • Identification document with 13-digit barcode and birth certificate (if you do not have these documents, visit the official website of the government of South Africa to find out which document to present to prove your identity);
  • Medical report or assessment proving the disability of the child under your responsibility;
  • Proof of marital status;
  • Bank statements, paychecks, pension receipts, and other proof of income from the last three months (adoptive parents or refugees need not present this documentation).

Care Dependency Grant application

Go to the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office closest to you with the documents described above.

SASSA agents will then refer your child for an evaluation by a federal physician.

Most likely, an appointment will be scheduled. After the federal physician issues the report, you can fill out the Care Dependency Grant application form.

Indeed, this can only be completed in the presence of a SASSA officer. SASSA employees will advise a time to complete this form at the office of that institution.

In the end, you will receive a receipt proving the benefit request. The federal government has up to three months to respond to your request.

Find other assistance programs: Disability Grant

If you’re not eligible to apply for the Care Dependency Grant, don’t worry! There are other aid options available.

So check the Disability Grant, a federal program destined for disabled people. Check below how to apply for this program.

Disability Grant

Apply for the Disability Grant: find out how

Apply for the Disability Grant and get access to a free continuous and indefinite pension of up to R1,990 until you can work again. Learn how!

About the author  /  José Gonçalo

I started reading about finance only to find better options than savings. Since then, I have never stopped studying finance, and I believe that writing about it is the best way to help individuals feel fulfilled and have a healthy financial life. Today, I balance finance and medical school studies.

Trending Topics


CemAir: cheap flights and offers from R1,000

Transform your travel and tourism experiences with cheap flights from CemAir, the airline responsible for connecting South Africa!

Keep Reading

Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF): relief for workers

Through the Unemployment Insurance Fund, South African workers can receive a pension of up to R17,712 for 12 months. Learn more here!

Keep Reading

How to Check Your UIF Payout? Simple Method! [2023]

Discover the simple steps on how to check your UIF payout and ensure you receive the financial support you need when it matters most.

Keep Reading

You may also like


Capitec Credit Card full review: should you get it?

The Capitec Credit Card has attracted many customers for its 1.5% cash on eligible purchases and many other advantages. Learn more!

Keep Reading

Learn how to reverse money using the Capitec App and get your cash back!

Don't let a transaction error or fraud take away your hard-earned money. Discover how to reverse money using the Capitec Bank app!

Keep Reading

NedBank Gold Credit Card full review: should you get it?

The NedBank Gold Credit Card offers a cashback program and benefits for travelers for a low monthly fee and many other benefits. Learn more!

Keep Reading